Posted by Justin Kubatko on April 15, 2008
Hi, my name is Justin Kubatko, Vice President of Sports Reference LLC and the person in charge of creating Hockey-Reference.com. You may already be familiar with the three other sites in the SR family: Baseball-Reference.com, Basketball-Reference.com, and Pro-Football-Reference.com. I think it's fair to say that those sites are the top sites on the Internet for historical baseball, basketball, and football statistics, respectively. We had always wanted to do a hockey site, but things kept getting in the way: we didn't have enough time, we couldn't find a good data set, etc. Finally, toward the end of 2007 we negotiated a licensing deal with Dan Diamond and Associates, publishers of Total Hockey and the annual NHL Official Guide and Record Book. Now that we had the data, we had to go about creating the site. This is where it gets boring, so let me just say that lots and lots of Perl scripts were written (and re-written) and lots and lots of errors were corrected. The end result is what you see here today. So what exactly do we have?
- Pages for every player in NHL history, plus pages for some notable non-NHL'ers as well.
- Pages for every team in NHL history, including player stats and game results, plus franchise histories, franchise leaders, and more.
- Pages for every season in NHL history, including league leader boards, player statistics, and more.
- Pages for every coach in NHL history.
- Extensive season, career, active, and yearly leaders boards for both the regular season and playoffs.
- Lists of all major trophy winners, including the Hart Memorial Trophy, the Vezina Trophy, and many others. We also have a list of the members of the Hockey Hall of Fame, the end-of-season NHL All-Star teams, and more.
- A playoffs section with yearly playoff results, leaders, and player statistics.
- The result of every NHL All-Star Game ever played, plus game rosters.
- The results of every NHL amateur and entry draft, plus draft histories for each franchise.
- A research tool called the Player Season Finder that will allow you to create custom season and career leader boards. For example, here's a list of the most wins by a rookie goaltender in the modern era.
- Fun stuff, like lists of birthdays and birth places.
To paraphrase an old quote, talking about this site is like dancing about architecture, so I would recommend that you quit reading about this site and start getting lost in it. After you have had some time to look around, we would love to hear your comments, either in the comments section below or through our feedback form. We feel that we have set the bar pretty high with our other sports sites, and we want to bring Hockey-Reference.com up to that level as well. With your comments and suggestions, I feel confident that we will. Enjoy the site!